Transferring domains to OnTheCloud.co is quite simple, but it's important that you understand the process before getting started. Before we even begin that, there is a little bit of information you should know...
Q: When I transfer my domain to OnTheCloud.co do I lose time that I have already paid for with my current registrar?
A: NO! If you have a domain that you own and have already registered for several months or several years, that's not a problem. When you transfer to OnTheCloud.co you will be able to keep all of that time you already paid for. The only thing that happens when you transfer is that time is added to what you've already paid for with your previous registrar. When you order the transfer you will be able to select how much time you want to add to your domain, anywhere from 1 to 10 years.
Q: What is the benefit of transferring my domain to OnTheCloud.co?
A: Beyond the fact that we are one of the only domain registration companies out there that gives money back directly to non-profits, we are also real people. Most registration companies have big call centers that you get transferred around in and no one really knows what they're doing. We are all very well aware of how hosting and domains work and we can help you. In fact, if you don't want to worry about the transferring of your domain, we'll do it for you! Just give us a call and have your username and password for your current registrar ready to give to us. You can go put your feet up and watch a movie... We'll let you know when it's done!
On top of all of those wonderful things, we also recommend that if you are hosting your website or email with us that you also put your domains here as well. There is nothing more frustrating for us than when there is a problem with your domain or hosting and it's because of an issue with another company that we don't have any control over. If everything is in one place, we are far more able to provide you with a reliable, well-supported service.
Q: How long can it take to transfer my domain?
A: It depends on where your domain is coming from, but it can take anywhere from 1 to 7 days. Rest assured that this will not affect your email or website up-time. Your web services will remain uninterrupted during the entire transfer process.
How to transfer your domain
1. Unlock & Remove Privacy - Login to your current registrar and unlock your domains. Also, if you have domain privacy enabled, you will need to disable that as well.
2. Retrieve EPP Code - Next you will need to retrieve your domain's EPP or authorization code from the current registrar. Sometimes this can be found somewhere in your account with your current registrar and sometimes you have to request that it be sent to you via email. If you have to have it submitted by email, first verify that you have access to the administrator email listed on the WhoIS data for the domain (you can check here: https://account.onthecloud.co/domainchecker.php). If you do not, please give us a call and we can talk with you about what you should do next. If you had privacy turn on for the domain, you may need to wait 24 hours before you can request the EPP code via email.
3. Order the transfer - After you have completed steps one and two, you are ready to submit the order for the transfer on our website. You can do so by going here: https://account.onthecloud.co/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer
4. Enter EPP Code - When you are asked for the EPP or Authorization code on our website, please enter what you were provided by the current registrar. It is very important that this is entered properly. Please make sure there are no extra spaces before or after the code or the transfer will fail.
5. Authorize Transfer - Within 24 hours after the transfer order has been placed and paid for, you will receive an email from our system that will be sent to the domain administrator email (same email that you received the EPP code at). This email is sent as a security measure to ensure that you are authorized to perform the transfer. Click the link in the email and select approve on the web page that comes up.
6. Current Registrar Notices - After you have approved the transfer with us in step 5 we will notify your current registrar that we taking the domain under our control. This will often prompt them to notify you sbout the transfer request and they may attempt to keep you as a client, sometimes even through scare tactics that tell you your website may go down. Do not pay attention to these emails UNLESS they also require authorization. Most often no action is required at this stage, but do be sure to read the emails they send you to ensure they do not require you to do anything for them to release the domains.
After a few days your domain will be transferred to our system and will be fully manageable by you through OnTheCloud.co.
If you have any questions about how to transfer your domain to OnTheCloud.co, please feel free to contact us directly. We are more than happy to help you or even perform the transfer for you so you don't have to.